The Morehouse College Phoenix Academy Upward Bound Program serves 63 eligible students enrolled at Phoenix Academy. The program enhances study habits and collaborative skills for those potential students who need assistance. Upward Bound is an intensive intervention program that prepares students for higher education through various enrichment courses. Campus-based, the program provides students instruction in literature, composition, mathematics, science, and foreign language during the school year and the summer. UB also provides intensive mentoring and support for students as they prepare for college entrance exams and tackle admission applications, financial aid, and scholarship forms.
- Academic tutoring to enable students to complete secondary or postsecondary courses, which may include instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science, and other subjects
- Advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance examinations and completing college admission applications
- Information on the full range of Federal student financial aid programs and benefits (and resources for locating public and private scholarships
- Guidance on and assistance in secondary school reentry
- Alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to the receipt of a regular secondary school diploma; entry into general educational development (GED) programs or entry into postsecondary education
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students or the students' parents, including financial planning for postsecondary education
- Fall and Summer Stipend
- College Visitation
- Workshop and Seminars
- Cultural Trips
- Community Service
- Provides transportation to and from program
Students and staff of the Upward Bound Program believe that motivation is the prerequisite for learning. Consequently, Upward Bound doesn't just teach to, but instead "turns on" students to the real world. Upward Bound uses each student's personal strengths with the hope that each student will discover the values of education and themselves. The Upward Bound Program encourages participants in a highly motivational, experiential curriculum promoting cross-cultural understanding and global awareness by applying intensive language development, computer technology, visual art, and social science instruction. The summer non-residential component will provide a nurturing learning environment that stresses a holistic concern for the students' social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual well-being.
The program provides English/ Composition, Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, all levels of Mathematics, Foreign Language (Spanish), and Computer Literacy. Students will be required to conduct research during the summer component in various areas.
- Student in the 9th, 10th, or 11th grade at Phoenix Academy
- Meet federal government guidelines as a low-income, first-generation student
U.S. Department of Education