Records and Registration

Veteran and Dependents Services

See what's new for the Forever GI Bill!!! 

First time using VA Benefits?

The first step in getting benefits is to apply for them online on the Veteran Affairs website then under Education, click "Apply for Education Benefits". In about 4-6 weeks, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility which will determine what benefit you qualify to use while martriculating through college. 

Below are the most common benefits by category:

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 Montgomery GI Bill) - Active Duty Members 

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 Montgomery GI Bill) - Transfer of Entitlement

Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents)

 Chapter 1606 (Selective Reserve)

Transfering VA Benefits to Morehouse College

You can transfer your VA benefits to Morehouse College. The most common benefits are listed below. If you are covered under a benefit not listed, please email with your certificate of eligibility from the VA.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 Montgomery GI Bill or Transfer of Entitlement) or Ch. 1606 Selected Reserve 

Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents)

 Continuing Morehouse Students

  Each term you are required to:

  • Submit a VA Enrollment Data Form 
  • Submit your class schedule
  • Submit your tuition bill from TigerPay 


  • If you make any changes to your program of study, a Change of Program or Place of Training form (22-1995) should be submitted to the School Certifying Official.
  • If you make any schedule changes by increasing or decreasing hours, you should notify your School Certifying Official immediately.


Useful Links

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs U.S. Air Force Homepage
U.S. Department of Education U.S. National Guard
Department of Defense Voluntary Education Homepage United States Navy
Atlanta Regional Processing Office United States Marines
U.S. Army Homepage VA Education Forms


Change of Address
Should your address change during the course of the acedemic year, please notify the VA by calling 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL1). This ensures that you receive your benefits check and other VA correspondence at the correct address.


Types of VA Educational Benefits

Chapter 33- Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. 

If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits. For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed. 

The following payments may also be available:

  • Monthly housing allowance based on the zip code of your school
  • Annual books and supplies stipend
  • One-time rural benefit payment
Chapter 35-Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) 
DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course.

Chapter 1606-Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.

Chapter 31-Vocational Rehabilitation
The Vocational Rehabilitation program is for service-disabled veterans who require further education to attain suitable, stable employment. This program may provide vocational and other training services and assistance including tutorial assistance, tuition, books, fees, supplies, handling charges, licensing fees and equipment and other training materials necessary. 

Satisfactory Progress/Probation
A student receiving VA benefits needs to understand his college's policy regarding satisfactory progress and academic probation (found in the college catalog). A VA student placed on probation has a maximum of two consecutive semesters to return to good standing. Failure to return to good standing within two semesters will make the student ineligible for VA educational benefits.

The student may regain his eligibility for VA benefits for future terms under one of two conditions: (I.) a return to good standing in the college, or (2.) a request for resumption of VA educational benefits is submitted to the VA claiming mitigating circumstances and the VA reinstates benefits based on evidence supporting the student's claim.