Records and Registration

Academic Progress

Satisfactory Progress
In order to be in good academic standing at Morehouse College, a student must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.00 and be on course to graduate in four years.

On Course to Graduate in 4 Years

  • Registered for 15+ credit hours, complete all major requirements, and semester GPA and cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Good Academic Standing

  •  Semester GPA and cumulative GPA are 2.0 or higher.

Academic Warning

Students on academic warning remain in good academic standing.  However, they are at-risk of being placed on academic probation and of not graduating in four years due to the following:

  • Major is not declared by the time one has earned 30 credit hours. 
  • If one has not averaged 15 credit hours per semester.
  • If one receives two or more failing grades at mid-term.
  • One does not proceed through prescribed sequence of courses as determined by Department.


  • If one's semester cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 he will be placed on academic probation with the opportunity to improve his GPA through guided mandatory. assistance. This probationary status will be noted on official transcript.
  • Students who are on academic probation will not be permitted to enroll in more than 15 semester hours. In addition, no student, while on academic probation, is eligible for active participation in any college organization that officially represents the institution or involves leaving campus or missing classes.
  • Students who remain on probation at the end of the spring semester should consider attending Morehouse Summer School to improve the GPA and remove academic probation.


  • If one is on probation and his cumulative GPA does not improve above a 2.0, one can be separated from the College for one year.


  • If after returning to the College after separation one's semester GPA and cumulative GPA are below 2.0, one will be dismissed from the College. 

Leaves of Absence

Students may take leaves of absence from Morehouse College: (1) to participate in approved study away programs, or (2) for personal reasons.

Study Leave
Students who are approved by the College to study away (concurrent enrollment) at other institutions in the United States or abroad should, upon notification of acceptance by the other institution, file appropriate study forms with the Office of the Registrar. The students should indicate the duration of study and expected semester of return. If the program of study is approved in advance, credit will normally be granted for courses graded C or better. Without approval in advance, there is no guarantee that credit will be awarded.

Personal Leave
Students who are in good academic standing may be approved by the College to take a personal leave for purpose of work or other non-academic experiences. Work activities may be explored through the Office of Career Placement.

Re-entry Following Leave
Students who plan to return from leave must formally notify the director of admissions and the registrar no later than July 1 for the fall semester, and December 1 for the spring semester. Notification is necessary to help the College project enrollment and space needs. The burden is on the student to make the notification, to make necessary arrangements with the Office of Business and Finance, and to forward housing requests to the director of housing.