As part of our vision to take Morehouse beyond borders, we're bringing undergraduate degrees online for fall 2021 in partnership with global education technology leader 2U.
We're making our preeminent undergraduate education possible for more adult men globally by launching a number of online bachelor’s degrees in fall 2021, as part of our new strategic vision to take Morehouse beyond borders.
To receive more information visit https://2u.com/morehouseonline
By expanding access to a flexible, rigorous undergraduate academic experience, we aim to enhance social mobility and strengthen career pathways for thousands of men beyond Atlanta’s borders, while at the same time securing our long-term financial stability. We're partnering with education technology leader 2U to power the digital transformation of our programs because of the company’s long track record helping colleges and universities bring the best of themselves into the digital age and delivering high-quality online academic experiences. To learn more about Morehouse Online, read the announcement letter from Morehouse President David A. Thomas.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are we announcing?
- What programs will be available online?
- What is the cost of tuition for Morehouse Online?
- Who is eligible for online completion degrees?
- What will it be like to be an online student?
- What will student life be like? Will online undergraduate students have access to the Morehouse community online?
- What type of support services will be available to online students?
- How can I learn more about the Morehouse Online program?
- How will Morehouse faculty be supported to teach online?
- Will the Morehouse Online program continue to grow and expand?
- Why is Morehouse launching this online program?
- Why did Morehouse select 2U as its digital transformation partner?
- What are other graduates saying about their online education powered by 2U?
- Why did Morehouse go with 2U for degree completion programs but Coursera for certificates?
FUTURE PROGRAM LAUNCH/STUDENT FAQS
- What technology will students use?
- Will there be any training on how to access and use the online learning technology?
- Are there internet and technology requirements?
- Will the online program be accessible for students requiring accommodations?
- How is student privacy secured online?
- We’re announcing the launch of Morehouse Online – the centerpiece of our digital transformation strategy that will enable us to take the Morehouse experience and education well beyond the borders of our physical campus.
These initial programs are designed for non-traditional students with existing college credit and adult life experience seeking to complete their bachelor’s degrees. This includes men who enrolled at Morehouse but left before completing their undergraduate experience.
Admissions criteria will come later, but these degree programs will have the same exacting admissions process as our traditional residential programs. Morehouse faculty will teach these courses in a blended live and asynchronous environment. We expect to announce fully online degrees in the near future.
- We’ll launch with a degree completion program in business administration with a management concentration and several other programs to be announced soon. They will include a range of studies in relevant fields that help graduates compete for some of the most competitive jobs.
- We will announce the full tuition and fee schedule for Morehouse Online in April, but the cost for Morehouse Online will be $600 per credit.
- We designed the first online degrees to provide men with previous college credit, adult life experience and who have not taken a college course in the past four years the opportunity to complete their bachelor’s degree. We will use the same exacting admissions standards for the online programs as we do for on-campus students. We maintain control over all admissions decisions, and applicants will follow the same admissions criteria as on-campus applicants. We’ll announce specifics on credit hour requirements in the coming months.
- Courses will feature a blend of engaging weekly live classroom experiences and asynchronous coursework students complete independent of their classmates.
Coursework will include rigorous assignments, which may entail watching lectures or interviews and responding to discussion questions through writing or video.
Faculty will teach through an online platform that provides access to all the learning tools and resources students will need and more.
- Yes. Online students will be predominantly remote from campus, but we will be creating opportunities for them to engage with the broader Morehouse community and activities on campus as we believe that will be an important part of the process of becoming a Morehouse Man.
- With this online format, we are committed to ensuring every student has the support they need to thrive. Dedicated advisors will help students navigate their courses. Students will also have access to platform technical support.
We will create dedicated academic and student support resources to assist our online students as they matriculate at Morehouse Online.
- Interested students can sign up to get more information about Morehouse Online at https://2u.com/morehouseonline. To learn more about 2U, visit 2U.com. More information about these programs will also be available on the Morehouse website in the near future.
Dr. Martha Madkins is associate provost of online education at Morehouse. You may reach her at email@example.com or (470) 639-0729.
- Our faculty develops curricula with technical assistance and support from 2U. They receive extensive training and are equipped with best practices for creating engaging learning experiences, both in the live classroom and through a student’s coursework.
2U’s curriculum design support is based on and grounded in their Learning Experience Framework, a research-based approach to pedagogy for student-centered learning in the online classroom. Our faculty has access to 2U’s dedicated faculty and engagement team.
- Yes. The initial degrees provide men with previous college credit the opportunity to complete their undergraduate degrees.
Fully online degree programs offered to more students will follow. The strategic plan also outlines other initiatives to expand our reach beyond our borders including certificate programs with other partners.
- Our strategic decision to embrace live and asynchronous high-quality online education positions us as a leader in the future of higher education, expands our global impact, and strengthens our long-term financial stability.
We aim to enhance social mobility and strengthen career pathways for thousands beyond campus by expanding access to a flexible, rigorous undergraduate academic experience.
- We selected 2U for the company’s history of helping colleges convert instruction into a high-quality online academic experience. 2U’s online program management is centered on us and founded on genuine respect for what makes us great, including institutional independence. We maintain control over all academic functions, such as accreditation, admissions, faculty, and curriculum.
- Being on multiple platforms gives us the ability to create custom experiences for students seeking very unique experiences whether it's to complete a degree over several semesters or to complete a single course over several hours. 2U's platform for degree completion is ideal for leveraging the Morehouse brand and experience. While the more open platform that Coursera deploys is idea for the kinds of massively open online courses we're offering.
- Gallup recently conducted a study of graduates from online degree programs powered by 2U. Graduates reported they had the same level of academic support and mentorship opportunities as on-campus programs, more engaging and exciting professors than on-campus programs, and ease and comfort with the shift to online learning. When asked if they had the chance to do it all over again, nearly all — 92% — said they would still obtain an online degree.
- Being on multiple platforms gives us the ability to create custom experiences for students seeking unique experiences, whether it's to complete a degree over several semesters or to complete a single course over several hours. 2U's platform for degree completion is ideal for leveraging the Morehouse brand and experience. At the same time, the more open platform that Coursera deploys is ideal for the kinds of massively open online courses we're offering.
FUTURE PROGRAM LAUNCH/STUDENT FAQS
- We will teach through 2U’s platform that provides a user-friendly interface where students can access coursework, live classroom sessions, and interactive experiences that allow for faculty feedback, student support services, and more.
- Yes. Students will receive orientation and technical training to prepare for the online learning experience.
- Yes. There are important hardware, software, and connectivity requirements that allow you to take full advantage of the online learning environment.
- 2U built its learning platform to meet accessibility standards. 2U will work with us to support students with accommodations.
- 2U takes care to protect students’ online privacy when on the learning platform and in the Live Classroom, including enhanced security measures and compliance with strict legal guidelines around sharing student data and information.