Martin Luther King Jr. Chapel and Plaza
Our facility honors the memory and celebrates the legacy of Dr. King, Morehouse College’s most well-known alumnus, and Dr. Howard Thurman, our best-known interfaith theologian. Built in 1978, the Chapel seats 2,501 and features the 6,000-pipe Wendell P. Whalum organ. The Hall of Honor includes more than 150 oil portraits of global leaders of the international civil and human rights movement. Our lobby is home to busts of Mahatma and Kasturbai Gandhi. The plaza is home to the only bronze statue of Dr. King in Georgia and the Howard Thurman obelisk and crypt. The dean’s office and library houses the more than 500 piece collection of King-related photos, artifacts, and memorabilia.
The chapel building, a multi-purpose facility, hosts people of diverse backgrounds from around the globe. The chapel is used for Morehouse academic, cultural, community, and spiritual programs and events. We welcomed more than one million people from more than 100 countries and more than 150 global leaders spoke from the chapel pulpit.
Wendell Phillips Whalum Sr. Memorial Pipe Organ
Our organ exists due to the tireless effort of Dr. Wendell P. Whalum Sr. He insisted his alma mater acquire this instrument. Dr. Whalum's "chief concern is to honor the college with making available an instrument that is capable of playing organ literature from all musical periods." The resulting instrument is striking, both visually and aurally. The façade, which measures 38 feet in width, features an exposed 32-foot principal and copper 8-foot Trompette en Chamade, the lower notes of which are hooded. The organ's tonal design can be described as "American Classic," with French flavor and nomenclature. At the time of the instrument's completion, it was one of the largest organs in the South and the second largest in Atlanta.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Statue, National Baptist Convention USA, Inc. gift
- The Century and Millennium marker honoring MLK Jr., Prince Hall Masons gift
- Martin Luther King Jr. cornerstone, Boston Univeristy gift
- International Hall of Honor Oil Portrait Gallery
- Morehouse College presidential chair and college mace
- Tutahnk Ahmen Mace of the chapel dean
- Silverbluff Springfield Baptist Church founding bell
- President's medallion, ceremonial robe, seal, and rules of order
- John Hope memorial
- Chapel for the Inward Journey in Sale Hall
- 125th anniversary marker
- Oikoumene cornerstone
- Cornell Everett Talley pulpit
- Howard Thurman chest
- Carey Wynn urn
- Hugh M. Gloster Memorial
- William Danforth chapel