SherRhonda R. Gibbs, PH.D.
- Dean, Division of Business and Economics
Dr. SherRhonda Gibbs is dean and professor in the Division of Business and Economics.
Dr. Gibbs previously served as a professor and dean of the Monfort College of Business at the University of Northern Colorado. Her other leadership posts include interim director of the School of Management and interim associate dean of analytics & accreditation at the University of Southern Mississippi. Her professional experience includes roles as project lead, senior analyst, programmer, and software engineer at the Mayo Clinic and IBM. She also worked for 11 years with GCNF Ventures, Inc., a management and business consulting firm.
Dr. Gibbs continues to be an active scholar, with work published recently in the Journal of Small Business Strategy, New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, and Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship among other scholarly venues. She has given numerous conference presentations and received recognition andawards for her work, including being inducted as a Longnecker Fellow in the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship. She also has extensive knowledge of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accreditation process.
Massey Leadership Building Rm. 338
Entrepreneurial opportunity recognition, Black and women entrepreneurs, task-specific efficacy, affect, work/life balance, knowledge workers, career choice, organizational behavior, small business and technology adoption, and technology entrepreneurship.
- Sequeira, J.M., Weeks, K., Bell, M., and R. Gibbs (2018). “Making the case for diversity as a strategic business tool in small firm survival and success”, Journal of Small Business Strategy, 28(3), 31-47.
- Gibbs, S. R., Singh, R. P., Butler, J.S., and C. Scott (2018). “The role of networking, entrepreneurial environments, and support systems in the creation, survival and success of ventures founded by minority, women, and immigrant entrepreneurs”, New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 21(2), 74-80.
- Sequeira, J. M., Gibbs, S. R., and N. Juma (2016). Factors Contributing to Women’s Venture Success in Developing Countries: an Exploratory Analysis, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 21(1), 31 pages.
- Lane, F., and R. Gibbs (2015). “Propensity score analysis: a secondary data analysis of work-life policy and performance”, Advances in Developing Human Resources, 17(2).
- Burgess, B., Yaoyuneyong, G., and R. Gibbs (2014). “Self-Construal and Gender Differences in Impulse Buying Behavior of Young Thai Consumers,” Asian Journal of Business Research
- Gibbs, S. R. (2014). “The Bitter Truth: a Comparative Analysis of Black Male and Black Female Entrepreneurs,” Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship. 19(1), 18 pages.
- Singh, R. P., and R. Gibbs (2014). “Opportunity Recognition Processes of Black Entrepreneurs,” Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, 26(6), 643-649.
- Gibbs, S. R. (2009). “Exploring the Influence of Task Specific Self-Efficacy on Opportunity Recognition Perceptions and Behaviors”, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 29(6): 1-15.
- Gibbs, S. R., Sequeira, J. and M. White. (2007). “Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Small Business,” International Journal of Globalization and Small Business, 2(1): 66-87.
- Rana, D. and Gibbs, S. R. (2006). “Analyzing Role of Operations Research Models in Banking”, The Business Research Yearbook, XIII, 112 – 117.
- Thiagarajan, P. and Gibbs, S. R. (2005). “Effects of Flexible Working Arrangements on Role Overload, Burnout and Job Satisfaction in Information Technology Professionals.” The E-Business Review, V, 233-236.
- Southern Business Deans Association
- Academy of Management
- The PhD Project
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Direct Selling Education Foundation Fellow
- Black Data Processing Associates
- JSU Business
Doctoral Student Association: Vice President (2005-2006)
- Women in Biotech
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Inducted into USASBE’s Longenecker Fellows (January 2022)
- Entrepreneurship Educator of the Year, (Diana International, June 2019)
- Innovation in Online Teaching Award (University of Southern Mississippi, 2018)
- Volunteer of the Year, Best Competitive Research Panel, MWE Professor of the Year (USASBE, 2018)
- Best Conceptual Paper (Direct Selling Education Foundation, 2018)
- Delta Sigma Pi, Faculty Inductee, 2014
- Faculty Service Award – USM College of Business, 2014
- Distinguished Research Award – Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal 2013
- Nominated for IHL Black Educator of the Year, 2013
- Featured on USM website for Live-Reach-Achieve campaign, 2012
- Emerging Minority Business Leaders Program. Facilitator. 3rd place team. 2010 & 2011, West Liberty University
- Service Award – Jackson State University Department of Entrepreneurship
- Arnon Reichers Best Doctoral Student Paper Award – AOM Careers Division
- Project Initiator and Director, JSU’s Student Entrepreneurs Fast Pitch Competition
- NAFEO Integrated Technology Transfer Network Fellowship Recipient – California State University – San
Bernardino (CSUSB 2006)
- Emerging Minority Business Leaders (EMBL) Summer Institute participant June 2005, West Virginia High
Technology Consortium, West Liberty State College, Wheeling, WV
– Won team launch plan competition
– Given Kenneth Jordan Award of Excellence for Leadership