Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What types of financial aid are available?

 A: There are four types of financial aid available to students:

  • Scholarships - merit or need based financial aid that does not have to be repaid.
  • Grants - federal or state funded financial aid that does not have to be repaid.
  • Loans - allow a student or parent to borrow money for school. Must be repaid with interest.
  • Work-study - provides part-time jobs for students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.
    *Please refer to Types Of Aid for more information

Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

A: You may complete the FAFSA as early as January 1 for the following year. Morehouse’s priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is February 15. The deadline for submitting all necessary documentation pertaining to the FAFSA is April 1.

Q: Why should I meet the FAFSA priority deadline?

 A: By meeting the priority deadline you have a better chance of receiving campus-based funding, if you are eligible, such as FSEOG, Perkins Loans, and Work-Study. These programs are limited in funding (determined by U.S. Department of Education), and annual awards to eligible students are based on meeting the priority dates of February 15 and April 1. Thereafter, awards are made on a first-come basis.

Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

 A: Yes. Financial aid is year specific and is awarded for one year at a time. Applications for the upcoming year are available the proceeding January of each year.

Q: How will I be notified of my award status?

A: The Office of Financial Aid will contact you regarding your award via mail with an award letter. Students who meet the priority filing date of April 1 and are not selected for verification will be notified beginning in April. Students who do not meet the priority date will be notified beginning July 1 and throughout the summer.

Q: What is Verification?

A: Verification is a process where the school compares information from your FAFSA with signed copies of your and your parent (s)’ federal tax forms, W-2 forms, or other financial documents. FAFSA applications are randomly selected for verification by the federal processor. If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, we are legally obligated to make corrections to your FAFSA. If there is an asterisk (*) next to the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on your Student Aid Report (SAR), you have been selected for verification.

 Q: What if I am a Georgia Resident, are there additional funds available to me?

 A: Yes, Georgia residents are eligible for HOPE Scholarship and the Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant.

Q: Can I become a Georgia resident after attending Morehouse for 2 years?

 A: No. If you move to Georgia to attend an institution, you will not be considered a resident for financial aid purposes unless there is a period of 2 years or more in which you did not attend any school prior to the semester you intend to enroll. You must also have resided in the state of Georgia during that time. Even so, you may be required to submit additional information to determine your eligibility.

Q: Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?

A: Some aid does require full-time enrollment (12 hours per semester), but most programs including Pell grants, supplemental grants, work-study, and federal loans do not require full time enrollment. However, they do require at least half time enrollment. Part time students may also receive aid, but your award amount will be adjusted based on the number of credits for which you enroll. If you have a question about a type of aid not listed above, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Q: How much Financial Aid can I receive for the year?

 A: The award amount of your financial aid is based on your enrollment status, classification (freshman, sophomore, junior/senior), program limits, the budget, and outside aid received (external scholarships, etc.).

Q: What are the requirements for an academic scholarship?

A: Academic scholarships are awarded through the Office of Admissions to entering freshman only. For more information, please contact the Office of Admissions at (404) 215-2632.

Q: I have an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

A: Yes. If you are receiving a scholarship or any other form of financial aid from university, private, or government sources, you must report it to the Office of Financial Aid. You will be liable in the event that you receive a refund generated by a financial aid over-award.

Q: Do I have to sign a promissory note every year?

A: No. For federal loans, you will complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) as a first-time borrower. It will be valid from the time you first apply for a federal loan at Morehouse until you graduate. For alternative loans, you should check with the lender regarding their promissory note policy.

Q. Can I register if my financial aid file is not complete?

A. Yes, you may register, but you must be prepared to pay your bill when due.

Q. How Do I Pay the Balance Not Covered by Financial Aid? 

A.   Payment options for your student account balance are available online at: