CHARLES THOMAS, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor, Philosophy and Religion
- Online Program Director for General Education
I am a former Baptist Pastor and have been teaching in higher education for fifteen years.
Dr. Charles E. Thomas Jr. is the Director of Online General Education and Associate Professor of Philosophy and Religion at Morehouse College. Prior to this dual appointment, Dr. Thomas was the Interim Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program, Director of the Certificate Program, Adjunct Professor, and Vice President of Administrative Services at the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC). Dr. Thomas was an adjunct professor in Communication at Slippery Rock University; an adjunct professor in the Department of Communication and Rhetoric at Duquesne University and an adjunct assistant professor of Homiletics at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.
Dr. Thomas has over twenty years of pastoral ministry experience. He is the former Senior Pastor of Mt. Carmel Community Baptist Church in Steubenville, OH. He has also held positions as Pastor of Communal Life at Macedonia Baptist Church; Program Director at Macedonia FACE; Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church of Pitt Gas; Associate Minister at Mt. Olive Baptist Church; Office Manager for the Metro-Urban Institute of the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary; Youth Counselor at Mel Blount Boys Home; a Steelworker/millwright for 10 years and served in the United States Army for over 5 years.
Reared in Houston, Pennsylvania, Dr. Thomas graduated from Chartiers-Houston High School. He possesses a Bachelor of Science Degree in Community Ministry from Geneva College and a Master of Divinity with emphasis in Urban Ministry, Homiletics, and Pastoral Care from the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary where he was awarded the Michael Wilson Keith Memorial Prize in Homiletics and the John W. Meister Award in Pastoral Ministry for outstanding preaching and pastoral care abilities. Dr. Thomas received his Ph.D. from the Department of Communication and Rhetoric at Duquesne University. His dissertation is entitled: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Rhetoric of Reconciliation. In addition to several journal articles and book chapters, Dr. Thomas has recently finished a textbook entitled: a 21st Century View of World Religions.
Areas of Academic Expertise
Sociology of Religion
World Religious Studies
Publications and Presentations
- Thomas, C. Jr. (2023). “A 21st Century View of World Religions”, Cognella.
- Thomas, C. Jr. (2018). “Bonhoeffer: Community.”, Encyclopedia of Communication Ethics, Arnett, Holba, & Mancinoin (Eds.).
- Thomas, C. Jr. (Fall 2021). “The Reconciled Self.”, The Interdenominational Theological Center Journal.
- Thomas, C. Jr. (2004). “Who do You Think You Are?”, The African American Pulpit.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Awarded Michael Wilson Keith Memorial Prize in Homiletics
- Awarded John W. Meister Award in Pastoral Ministry
- Awarded Metro-Urban Institute Graduate Certificate in Urban Ministry
- Member, National Communication Association
- Member, Religious Communication Association