Derrick M. Bryan, PH.D.
- Associate Professor
- Associate Director, Black Male Research Institute
Dr. Derrick M. Bryan is the associate director of the Morehouse College Black Men’s Research Institute. He also serves as an associate professor in the Sociology Department at Morehouse and executive director of the HBCU STEM Undergraduate Success Research Center (HBCU STEM-US), a collaboration between Morehouse, Spelman College, and Virginia State University to perpetuate excellence in STEM education at historically Black colleges and universities through research focused on pedagogy, academic cultures, and student support. He is the director of the Frederick Douglass Academic Success Center at Morehouse and has served as a faculty development fellow, and an A.D.I.S.A fellow. Prior to joining the faculty at Morehouse, Bryan was an assistant professor in the Department of Gender and Race Studies at the University of Alabama. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and technical reports. He has also presented at conferences around the world. Dr. Bryan’s research areas include career attainment, scientific literacy, and sociocultural factors in health behaviors.
Dr. Bryan graduated cum laude from Morehouse with a Bachelor of Arts in sociology with a minor in biology. He earned a Master of Arts in sociology and a Ph.D. in sociology from The Ohio State University. His dissertation topic was “To Parent or Provide: The Effect of The Provider Role on Disadvantaged Men’s Decisions about Fatherhood and Paternal Engagement.”
- Bryan, Derrick M., 2013
To Parent or Provide? The Effect of the Provider Role on Low-Income Men’s Decisions about Fatherhood and Paternal Engagement.
Fathering: A Journal of Theory, Research, and Practiceabout Men as Fathers,Volume 11, Issue 1, 71-89.
- Bryan, Derrick M. and Dorinda J. Gallant., 2012
Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid: African American Male (High School Students Perceptions of School Counseling Services). Journal of African American Males inEducation, Volume 3, Issue 1, 47-56.
- Bryan, Derrick M., 2012
Readings and Viewings. Chapter in Choosing Fatherhood: America’s Second Chance (pg. 193-201).
Ed. Lewis Kostinerand George F. Thompson. George F. Thompson Publishing.
- Moore, J. L., III, Ken Sanders, Derrick M. Bryan and Dorinda J. Gallant, 2009African American Male Students’ Perceptions of the Availability and Use of High School Counseling Services.The National Journal of Urban Education & Practice,Volume 3, Issue 1, 13-23.
- Listen | WABE, February 16, 2022: Morehouse College launches the Black Men’s Research Institute,
- BET, February 16, 2022: Morehouse College Focuses On Often Overlooked Research Issues Impacting Black Men In New Institute
- Listen | WABE: Closer Look with Rose Scott