The Morehouse College Phoenix Academy Upward Bound Program is designed to serve 63 eligible students, currently enrolled at Phoenix Academy. The program enhances study habits and collaborative skills for those potential students who need (help) assistance. Upward Bound (UB) is an intensive intervention program that prepares students for higher education through various enrichment courses. Campus-based, the program provide students instruction in literature, composition, mathematics, science, and foreign language during the school year and the summer. UB also provides intensive mentoring and support for students as they prepare for college entrance exams and tackle admission applications, financial aid, and scholarship forms.
- Academic tutoring to enable students to complete secondary or postsecondary courses, which may include instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science and other subjects;
- Advice and assistance in secondary and postsecondary course selection;
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance examinations and completing college admission applications;
- Information on the full range of Federal student financial aid programs and benefits (and resources for locating public and private scholarships;
- Guidance on and assistance in secondary school reentry; alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to the receipt of a regular secondary school diploma; entry into general educational development (GED) programs or entry into postsecondary education; and
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students or the students’ parents, including financial planning for postsecondary education
- Fall & Summer Stipend
- College Visitation
- Workshop & Seminars
- Cultural Trips
- Work Study
- Community Service
- Provides transportation to and from program
- It’s Free
Students and staff of Upward Bound Program believe that motivation is the prerequisite for learning. Consequently, Upward Bound doesn't just teach to, but instead "turns on" students to the real word. Upward Bound seeks to utilize the personal strengths of each student with the hope that each student will discover the values of education and themselves. Upward Bound Program encourages participants in a highly motivational, experiential curriculum promoting cross-cultural understanding and global awareness through the application of intensive language development, computer technology, visual art and social science instruction. The summer non-residential component will provide a nurturing learning environment that stresses a holistic concern for the social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of the students.
The program provides English/ Composition, Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, all levels of Mathematics, Foreign Language (Spanish), and Computer Literacy. Students will be required to conduct research during the summer component in various areas.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in 9th, 10th, & 11th grade . Applicants must meet the federal government guidelines, 2/3 low income and first generation, and or 1/3 low income or first generation only.
Target School: Phoenix Academy