Visiting Professor of Philosophy
Deadline: May 28
Division/Department: Division of Humanities
The Philosophy program at Morehouse College invites applications for a one-year, potentially renewable, full-time position in philosophy. The area of specialization is open, but candidates will teach a fall course in “19th-Century Philosophy” and a spring course in “Ancient and Medieval Philosophy.” Both courses would ideally be taught in a manner that engages global philosophical traditions.
Beyond teaching these areas in the history of philosophy, we are especially interested in candidates who work in African American philosophy, Africana philosophy, the philosophy of race, relevant ethical and justice-related issues, or related areas that are uniquely supportive of the mission of the College.
The start date for the position is August 2021. Morehouse is planning to return to in-person instruction beginning Fall 2021. Responsibilities include:
- Teaching courses (a 3-3 load);
- Advising and mentoring students;
- Maintaining a scholarly research and publication agenda;
- Service to the Philosophy program and the College.
Minimum qualifications for the position include:
- Ph.D. in philosophy;
- Commitment to excellence in teaching;
- Evidence of a productive research program;
- Service to the profession and community.
A successful application will consist of the following:
- Letter of application providing detail on how the candidate meets the qualifications for the position and why they are a good fit for Morehouse College in particular (no more than two pages);
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Statement of teaching philosophy (no more than two pages);
- Research/scholarship agenda (no more than two pages);
- An unofficial transcript, initially, and, subsequently, official transcripts for finalists.
Candidates are also encouraged to include the following:
- Sample syllabi (no more than two courses);
- Samples of research (no more than two samples);
- Teaching evaluations or summaries of evaluations (no more than two courses)