Meriwether Program Assistant/Data Specialist
Division/Department: Federal TRIO Program/Meriwether/Talbot Counties Upward Bound Program
Reports To: Walter Gilstrap, program manager
The Program Assistant/Data Specialist covers 12 months beginning at the start of the fiscal year and will assist the program manager in planning and implementing the program using data metrics. They will ensure data integrity for all participants coordinate outreach to target schools for program participant data to report on outcome and objectives to the U.S. Department of Education.
They will assist the Program Manager and other program staff in managing the program's website and social media presence. They will provide logistical support for all program activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage Upward Bound student records in the database and always ensure the integrity of data
- Work with the program manager to streamline data management practices and processes to improve user experience and operational efficiency
- Assist with the identification, outreach, and recruitment of eligible program participants, work with program staff in the development, coordination, and implementation of academic and student services, and other initiatives for program participants
- Using inventories and other tools, help students assess their interests, strengths, needs, and career options; help students develop goals and a plan/roadmap for postsecondary education.
- Document assistance and services provided using Blumen database, maintain confidential records, run reports to track students' progress and program outcomes
- Serve as the point-person to the partner schools for collection of student records, verification of low-income status, and documentation of a student's participation in a rigorous program of study
- Serve as the point-person and implementation coordinator for Edmentum
- Maintain cumulative participant records following annual performance review record structure, as well as federal audit guidelines
- Assist Program Manager with completing the Federal Annual Performance Reports (APR) and other department data reports
- Work with the Program Manager to develop evaluation matrixes such as pre- and post-assessments for all activities and events. Use the collected data to develop and provide activity reports
- Maintain contact with program alumni to ensure they progress through postsecondary education, develop and administer annual alumni follow-up survey and prepare a report detailing the results
- Track alumni progress in postsecondary education via the National Student Clearinghouse and social media platforms
- Build relationships with undergraduate admissions, the financial aid office, and other academic support staff to facilitate program participants' admission and success
- Participate in the internal review of participant files annually to ensure 100% accuracy of student data and compliance with all federal record-keeping requirements
- Assist with the management of the program's website and social media accounts (e.g., Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook)
- Assist in providing support to Manager and staff with on and off-campus program activities, such as reserving campus space, transportation for college tours, and other program activities
- Carry out direct outreach activities at secondary schools, community-based organizations, community meetings, and other appropriate settings.
- Develop and coordinate support services such as tutoring and skills workshops for participants.
- Other duties assigned by the program manager
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work with individual and group of students from diverse academic, cultural, and socio-economic background
- Ability to assist the teacher, staff, and the partnership with the target schools
- Ability to work independently and to respond flexibly to changing events
Possess computer, verbal, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- High level of initiative and organization, good judgment, and discretion required
- Ability to assist in improving the program enhancement and communication through advertisement and social media
- Ability to develop and bring to completion multiple assignments concurrently
- Ability to analyze data and other information utilizing and maintaining spreadsheets and databases
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in education, human services, or related field
- At least two years experience in higher education or K-12 education settings
- Experience with social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat
- Excellent written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent computer skills: experience with various software programs, including Microsoft Office
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job's duties, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 35 pounds.