Manager of Media Relations
About Morehouse College
Morehouse College is the only historically Black college focused on educating men. For more than 153 years, Morehouse has produced some of the most impactful and distinguished world leaders in business, government, education, entertainment, medicine, finance, and the law. The Morehouse Office of Strategic Marketing Communications and Admissions is seeking to hire a senior-level marketing communications professional and strong people manager to extend and strengthen the Morehouse brand reputation to support key enrollment, academic, and revenue-driving initiatives across the College.
About the Position
The Manager of Media Relations (“MMR”) should have a proven track record of developing and implementing media and public relations strategies designed to promote awareness and support for the College’s mission, vision, and initiatives. The MMR will report directly to the Director of Public Relations and assist with day-to-day management of the Department’s earned media strategies and tactics in support of the College’s programs and initiatives. The MMR will assist the DPR with managing the College’s earned media efforts executing on a strategic plan and editorial calendar for pitching and placing regular features about the Morehouse faculty, students, alumni and other topics salient to the College’s strengths (i.e., leadership, social justice, liberal arts, HBCUs) to highlight our value proposition in top tier and regional media in the United States.
The MMR should spend at least 80 percent of her/his time talking with the media or preparing materials for use with the media. This role is about proactively placing stories in the press – not internal activities or event support. MMR will also assist with the College’s messaging, consulting and coordination for crisis communications and institutional policy initiatives.
The MMR will help run the News section of Inside Morehouse in concert with the DPR.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Assists the DPR with overseeing programming within the Department
- Support development of public relation/media relations programs for College programs and initiatives and formulates messaging that effectively targets external constituencies via the press and blogs
- Assists the AVP in the development and execution of the College’s media relations for print and broadcast media at local, state, and national levels
- Coordinates with Creative and Content team leaders to pull together creative for media relations efforts
- Advises and makes recommendations on issues management and media relations to the DPR
- Coordinates external announcements with the Internal Communications Manager to ensure efforts to keep internal audiences are in line with press facing activity
- Has a demonstrated track record of preparing and placing news/feature stories in local, state, and national media
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Previous supervisory experience, preferable in the area of public relations, public information, communications, or publications.
- Should have a basic understanding of SEO tactics as it relates to earned coverage.
- Agency experience is highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in mass communications, journalism, or an appropriate related field
- A minimum of five years experience in public relations, media relations within an agency or in-house setting
- Higher education experience is not mandatory but a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced setting