Director of Student Financial Services
Division/Department: Student Financial Services
Reports To: Associate Vice President for Student Financial Services
Primarily responsible for the Student Financial Services division's overall customer experience and supervises staff responsible for customer service and outreach and partners closely with other SFS leadership to ensure that customer issues are effectively addressed. This position also oversees the administration of all outreach events and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish a clear vision of all customer service-related initiatives geared toward multi-tier customer service center (on-site, call center, virtual, outreach) for current and prospective students. Works collaboratively with other SFS and Morehouse units to create a transparent student-centered customer service experience.
- Supervise staff responsible for providing cross-functional services in the areas of financial aid and Student Accounts.
- Coordinate human resources activities, including creating/modifying position descriptions, performance appraisals, hiring, staff training, discipline, conflict resolution, and termination of employees
- Have knowledge of campus human resources policies, procedures, and employment development opportunities. Maintain materials for use in policy and procedure manuals and training documents.
- Participate in the ongoing development and maintenance of the departmental policy, procedure, and processing manuals. Ensure that the department maintains compliance with all applicable federal, state, and institutional rules and regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining an annual training schedule to ensure that unit is resourced with the required tools and skills sets to manage a high student volume operation.
- Provide advanced level advice and counsel regarding student accounts and financial aid issues. Speak with customers as needed when referred by a manager or staff member to resolve or investigate more in-depth issues or situations regarding Morehouse, financial aid, or student accounts by providing accurate or alternative responses.
- Responsible for setup, maintenance, upgrades, testing, training, and use of the customer service systems, including our CRM, Qless, and phone systems. Monitor and provide analysis on the use of these systems and provide reports regularly.
- Provide analysis on service level needs to the AVP for continuous improvement
- Responsible for knowing phone systems, CRM, Banner ERP, and Qless software applications for running reports and monitoring response to meet service level agreements
- Assists in awarding financial aid according to program regulations
- Reviews the accuracy of financial aid applications and verify application information with supporting documentation
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knoweldge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent management, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Collaborative, holistic approach to problem-solving
- Must be analytic, organized, innovative, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively de-escalate difficult customer interactions
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the delivery of high-quality service to students, as well as evidence of use of technology in support of financial aid obligations.
- Must possess high ethical and professional standards; be highly motivated; flexible, and adaptable.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, balance competing priorities, and accomplish tasks effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- Must not be in default on federal student loans and have the ability to access federal student aid databases (NSLDS, COD, FAAaccess)
- Have extensive knowledge of information, practices, and procedures in federal student aid, including state and federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems, preferably Ellucian Banner
Minimum Position Requirements
- Bachelor's degree and four years of experience in a financial aid office or high school diploma and five years experience in a financial aid office
- At least two years experience managing staff responsible for customer service or financial aid counseling
- Sitting for extended periods
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds
- Must be able to work in a climate-controlled office environment