The Office of Student Life (OSL), supports the mission of Morehouse College and the retention, progression, and graduation of men by providing opportunities through registered student organizations and Student Life sponsored activities that are designed to cultivate learning, improve student development, provide leadership opportunities, compliment academic programs, and enhance character development. OSL through its activities collaborates with students, faculty, staff, and community leaders to promote analytical and critical thinking, build interpersonal skills, offer opportunities for creative expression, and recognize and address current trends.
OSL will be proactive partners with students, faculty and staff in building community and enhancing student learning.
We will be:
- Experts in experiential education, providing students with opportunities to acquire, apply, adapt, and reflect on skills, attitudes and talents for life.
- Known for producing competent Leaders who contribute to positive social change on and off campus;
- Committed to empowering a wide range of responsive and responsible student organizations providing cultural, social, athletic, academic and community service activities.
- Effective guides for students as they explore who they are and how they relate to others.
- Focused on providing a learning environment in which diversity and the open and honest expression of different views is expected and respected.
- Supported by a physical environment that is attractive, welcoming, user friendly and meets the needs of the campus community.
- Recognized for quality student service, which contributes to retention.
- Models of the kind of campus, community and world citizens we expect our students to become.
To take a holistic approach to student development and encourage each student to actively participate in all aspects of Morehouse College, consequently assisting each student to become a leader in the community.
Co-Curricular Programmatic Functions:
- New Student Orientation Evening Programs
- Student Development
- Student Leadership
- Student Organizations
- Fraternity & Social Fellowship Organization Life
- Rev. Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Week
- Founders Week
- Hump Wednesdays
Advisement Responsibilities Include:
- SGA: Student Government Association
- CASA: Campus Alliance for Student Activities
- Fraternities & Social Fellowship Organization
- New Student Orientation Leaders
- Up’til Dawn E-Board
Student Development Activities Include:
- Leadership Development Training & Workshops
- Study Skills Workshops
- Book Clubs
- Work Place Readiness
- Transitional Workshops
- Alumni Interaction Workshops
- Purpose Development Workshops
- Awareness Weeks
- Organization Retreats & Field Trips
- Community Service Programs:
- St. Jude Hospital - Up’til Dawn Letter Writing Fundraiser
- Autism Awareness
- Morehouse College Breast Cancer Walk
- Morehouse College Relief Effort
- No Excuses Community Service Initiatives
Learning and Development Outcomes:
|As a result of the programmatic efforts of the Office of Student Life Men of Morehouse College will:
- Understand & articulate transition issues facing students, including first-year students, transfer students, international students, adult learners.
- Understand & articulate transition issues facing special student populations,including non -African, American students, GBT students, students with disabilities, student athletes, & first-generation students.
- Understand & articulate common student issues & resources to deal with these challenges—includes: drug & alcohol abuse, body image, homesickness, mental health & stress, social integration, major selection & career choice.)